FAQ AND BUSINESS POLICIES
PLEASE NOTE BEFORE BUYING
All of our products are made by hand and therefore may have slight imperfections. We do our absolute best to make sure everything is looking it's best for you, however we are humans not machines.
WHERE ARE YOUR PRODUCTS MADE?
Everything we create is made in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
DO YOU TAKE JARS/BOTTLES BACK?
Not at this time.
WHAT IS THE LIFESPAN ON YOUR CANDLES?
We recommend burning them within one year of purchase for peak performance as we do not use any preservatives.
CAN I GET AN UPDATE ON MY ORDER?
In order to keep up with our making schedule we work most every day. We don’t have the capacity to answer hundreds of update inquiries, when you placed an order, you recieved a confirmation e-mail. The next e-mail you’ll receive from us will be when we ship your order. Thanks so much!
I PLACED AN ORDER ONLINE, WHEN WILL IT SHIP?
Your order will ship according to our current turnaround time. You can usually find this as a banner at the top of our homepage. When it ships, you will be sent an email confirming shipment. As we are a small, handmade business we can take up to 2 weeks to ship your order out.
I PLACED AN ORDER FOR LOCAL PICKUP, WHEN CAN I COME GET IT?
When your order is ready to be picked up you will be emailed with instructions and the pickup address. Please see below for our more detailed local pickup policies.
MY ORDER DIDN'T ARRIVE!
You’ll get an e-mail when we create a shipping label for your package, it will contain a tracking number so watch for that. If you're outside of Canada you may not receive a tracking number however you should receive the email update. Please be aware that Land of Daughters Inc. is not responsible for delayed transit times once your order leaves the studio. We have no control over transit times once packages are given to the mail carrier. We also cannot see anything more than you can see on your tracking number page. Should your package become delayed or lost, a claim will need to be filed with the shipping carrier.
MY ORDER ARRIVED BROKEN, WHAT DO I DO?
We’ve gotten pretty good at making sure we pack things well but things happen! If your order arrives broken we need an e-mail from you and a picture of the broken piece + the package in came in within a week of it’s arrival. Please include your full name and order number in the email. Then we will remake and replace it for you.
REFUNDS, RETURNS, EXCHANGES AND STORE CREDIT
As a small business we use our profits to reinvest in growing our company. Running a studio takes money, and making things requires supplies that we have to pay for. As such, we ask you to consider your purchase carefully before making it because we do not do returns or refunds of any kind.
CAN YOU LEAVE THE RECEIPT OUT OF THE PACKAGE?
We do not provide a receipt with the amount you spent, instead your order will have a packaging slip that includes what was purchased as well as who it was purchased by. We don't leave this out as it's part of our packaging policies.
WHAT ARE YOUR SHIPPING OPTIONS/PRICES?
We have a few different options for shipping, depending on your needs. You pick your shipping option at checkout.
1. Flat rate shipping of $15 anywhere in Canada.
2. Free shipping on Canadian orders over $100. This applies to ONE order of $100 or more, more than one order will not be combined, credited or refunded. Your $100 order must be shipping to one address.
3. Free shipping on USA orders over $175 CAD. This applies to ONE order of $175 or more, more than one order will not be combined, credited or refunded. Your $175 order must be shipping to one address.
4. Free local pickup in Calgary, AB - pickup is in Deer Run in the SE of Calgary and you will be emailed instructions WHEN your order is ready to be picked up. PLEASE READ ALL OUR LOCAL PICKUP POLICIES BEFORE CHOOSING THIS OPTION.
Please be sure to double check your shipping address as Land of Daughters Inc is not responsible for packages delivered to an incorrect, closed or undeliverable address. If your package cannot be delivered due to an incorrect/undeliverable address or business closure and is "returned to sender", Land of Daughters Inc is not responsible for any shipping charges or fees. We're happy to ship your package back to a different address, but you will have to cover shipping costs for reshipment.
Please be aware that Land of Daughters Inc. is not responsible for delayed transit times once your order leaves the studio. We have no control over transit times once packages are given to the mail carrier. Should your package become delayed or lost, a claim will need to be filed with the shipping carrier.
We currently ship everywhere. Your package will be shipped using the cheapest method to save you money. International orders can take anywhere from 7-28+ days to arrive once shipped. Land of Daughters Inc is not responsible for any customs fees or expenses.
If the answer to your email can be found in our policies and faq section we will not be sending you an email back, you will get an auto-reply to your email explaining this. Due to the nature of our business we are unable to answer all emails.
Due to the high volume of emails we receive, we cannot always reply to collaboration requests, donation requests, wholesale requests, etc. This is in no way personal, we are just a small business and cannot work with everyone at all times!
LOCAL PICKUP POLICIES
HOW IT WORKS
Local pickups are done at our home in the SE of Calgary. We ask you to please respect the fact that this is indeed, our home. Please do not park in our driveway or block our neighbours driveways - there is ample street parking available.
When your order is ready for pickup you will be sent an email including detailed instructions and the pickup address. Should you decide to have someone else pick up your order for you, it is your responsibility to provide that person with the exact pickup instructions. We ask that you do this so we don’t have people wandering around our property - thank you!
If something comes up and you need to change the day you originally chose for pickup please email us to set up a new date. Do not come to the pickup address, or send anyone to the pickup address on a day you have not already discussed with us.
On the day you book your pickup, your order will be put out in our bin at 9AM. You are free to come anytime that day to pick it up. All packages that are not picked up by 8PM that day will be brought back inside our home and you are then required to book a new day for pickup via email - your package will not be put out again until another date is booked.
You have 30 days from the day you receive your first pickup email to collect your order. If you do not pick up your order within that 30 days your order will be cancelled and you will not receive a refund, exchange or credit. Once you are emailed that your order is ready for pickup it is then your responsibility to coordinate pickup.
The premises are monitored by video surveillance for your safety and ours.
WHY IS THAT POLAR BEAR BARKING AT ME WHEN I PICK UP
We have a large Great Pyrenees and there is a 99% chance he will bark at you through our front windows for the entirety of your pickup duration. We apologize in advance for his loudness however he feels strongly about keeping his home and family safe - which we appreciate!
Different fragrance combinations mixed with our linen mist recipe may cause a yellow, milky or cloudy appearance. This is normal and varies from scent to scent. It does not affect the way your mist will work or smell. Be sure to give these a shake before use to mix everything together for the best results.
Some candle scents contain vanilla, and due to this the wax may turn yellow. Fluorescent lights also can effect this. This is normal and varies from scent to scent. It does not affect the way your candles burn or smell and they are safe to use. We do not give refunds, exchanges or credits for this. The most common scents this happens with are Girl Gang, Bungalow and Reverie.
FLORAL WAX RINGS
Our floral wax rings contain real dried flowers, because of this the scent may end up smelling of the flowers that are included.
All of our scented products are done so with high quality, phthalate and paraben free fragrance oils. Some scents are stronger than others, but all of these products are scented. If you are sensitive to scents, or have specific needs/wants with scents we encourage you to order a scent sampler to try them out first - or try them out in person at one of our stockists. We do not refund, exchange or return products that you don't like the scent of.
TIPS FOR CANDLE BURNING!
Trim wick to 1/4 inch before initial burn. Let burn for 2 hours to establish a full burn pool on first burn. Don't burn candles for longer than 4 hours at a time. Make sure you trim your wick before each burn. discontinue burning your candle when 1/2 an inch of wax remains and/or the wick detaches and moves off center.
We hope it’s important to you too. The following information has been taken from Health Canada’s Candle Safety webpage.
DON’T DO THESE THINGS WITH YOUR CANDLES:
- leaving candles burning with no one in the room, or falling asleep or leaving the house with candles burning
- burning candles close to things that can catch fire (like mattresses, bedding, curtains, cabinetry, upholstered furniture, decorations and clothing)
- leaving burning candles within reach of children or pets
- Trim candle wicks to a height of 5-7 mm (1/4 inch) before lighting the candle. Trim them again every 2-3 hours to prevent high flames.
- Take extra care if you are burning candles with more than one wick. Avoid buying candles with multiple wicks that are close together.
- Use well ventilated candle holders that are sturdy and will not tip over. Avoid wooden or plastic holders, as these can catch fire. Use caution with glass candle holders, which can break when they get too hot.
- Never drop objects, like matches, into candles.
- Keep burning candles away from materials that can catch fire (like curtains, decorations and clothing). If your clothes catch fire, “Stop, Drop and Roll.”
- Keep burning candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Do not leave candles burning with no one in the room.
- Extinguish all candles before you go to sleep.
- Do not burn candles that have lead in the wicks. When you buy candles, ask the retailer if the wicks contain lead.
- Avoid using decorative oil lamps with liquid fuel if you have children under the age of five in your household. If you choose to use this type of candle, keep the fuel locked away, out of sight and reach of children. If you think your child has swallowed liquid fuel, contact your nearest poison control centre immediately.
- Teach your children to be careful around open flames. Make sure they understand that candles are not toys, or something they can eat or drink.